- 300g minced braising steak (we used featherblade)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium red onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 red chillies (chopped)
- 1 green chilli (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon toasted cayenne pepper
- 150g mixed cooked beans (we used red kidney, black and black eyed)
- 40ml red wine vinegar
- ½ bottle pinot noir red wine
- ½ tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 300ml beef stock
- 40g 70% chocolate
- hot dog
- chicken stock
- brioche bun
To garnish: sour cream, sliced fresh chili, chopped chives, and grated Monterey jack cheese
Gordon's Chilli con carne:
- Coat the beef in the paprika, cayenne and cumin seeds.
- Fry off in a hot pan until golden brown.
- Remove from pan then fry off the onions, garlic and chilli.
- Add the vinegar and reduce to a glaze.
- Repeat with the red wine.
- Add the tomato puree and cook out for a couple of minutes, then add the tinned tomatoes and cook out for 5 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add the stock and beef and cook slowly for 20 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the chocolate and beans.
- Season with salt and pepper and the chilli is ready to serve.
To construct the chilli dog:
- Place pork hot dogs in to a tray and cover with hot chicken stock for 15 mins.
- Roast the hot dog on the Josper until the skin is crispy.
- Toast the brioche bun.
- Place hot dog in the bun and cover with a ladle of the hot chilli con carne.
- Finish with a drizzle of sour cream, sliced fresh chilli, some chopped chives and grated Monterey jack cheese.