- 150g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150g dark chocolate (60-70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped or broken into small chunks
- 75g plain flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 200g caster sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, crème fraiche or whipped cream, to serve
SERVES 4 (easily doubled)
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/Gas 5. Grease 4 x 220ml dariole moulds or ramekins with butter, place them on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Put the butter and chocolate into a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bottom of the bowl touch the water underneath) and leave until melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, sift over the flour and then whisk it in.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar until combined, then whisk this into the chocolate mixture, until smooth and well combined. Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared dariole moulds or ramekins, dividing equally. Bake for 15-20 minutes – the fondants are ready when you shake each one gently and only the middle moves a little.
- Remove from the oven, and then, using a sharp knife, gently loosen around the inside edge of each mould, if necessary. Carefully invert each fondant onto a serving plate and serve immediately with crème fraiche, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.