Beer battered cod fillets:
- 4 175g thick cod fillets
- 120g plain flour
- 100g rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 130ml soda water
- 170ml lager
- 1 tsp sugar
- vegetable oil for deep fryer
- 400g peas
- 100g butter
For beer battered cod fillets:
- In a large bowl, mix both flours, baking powder and sugar.
- Add soda water, lager and salt.
- Mix together only until the batter binds together and is smooth. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Cover your fish with a dusting of plain flour, then drop into the batter and coat completely.
- Pre-heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 180C.
- Once fish is coated with batter, gently place into the deep fryer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Remove from fat and drain.
For mushy peas:
- Bring salted water and butter to a boil.
- Add peas to boiling water and bring back to a boil.
- Remove peas from the cooking liquid and place into a food processor.
- Add the cooking liquid a little at a time and pulse until you reach a desired consistency.
- Check seasoning and adjust.