For the gnocchi:
- 1kg King Edward potatoes, scrubbed
- 250g plain flour
- 1 egg
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp salt
- 25g butter
For the Parmesan sauce:
- 475ml whipping cream
- 110g butter
- 150g Parmesan cheese, grated
For the garnish:
- 12 asparagus spears
- Small bunch of pea shoots
- Place the unpeeled potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, cook until tender but not falling apart. Once cooked, drain and peel as soon as possible, while the potatoes are still hot.
- On a work surface spread out a layer of flour. Thoroughly mash the hot potatoes and drop them directly on the flour. Sprinkle with about half the remaining flour and mix very lightly into the potatoes. Make a well within the mixture and crack the egg into the middle. Add the nutmeg, combine the potato and egg and knead lightly, drawing in more flour as necessary. When the dough is light to the touch and no longer moist or sticky, it is ready to be rolled. Do not overwork or the gnocchi will be heavy.
- Divide the dough into about 4 parts. On a lightly floured board, form each into a roll about 2cm in diameter. Cut the rolls to form pieces about 2 cm long.
- Bring a large pot of water to a fast boil. Add salt and drop in half of the gnocchi.
- When the gnocchi rise to the surface, after about 3-4 min, remove from the pan and drain.
- Place the gnocchi in a warm serving bowl and dot with butter. Keep warm and repeat the process for the remaining gnocchi, before making the Parmesan Sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, butter and grated Parmesan. Cook over medium-low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Next, cook the asparagus. Cut the Asparagus in half, keeping the tops to finish the dish with. Cut the bottom half in to pieces about 1cm in length.
- First blanch the piece in boiling salted water for 1-2 mins, scoop out and combine the asparagus with the Parmesan sauce. Then blanch the asparagus tips and set aside for garnishing later.
- In a mixing bowl gently toss the gnocchi with the Parmesan and asparagus sauce.
- Finally, spoon the gnocchi and sauce into individual pasta bowls. Garnish with the blanched asparagus tops and pea shoots as a garnish. Finally, sprinkle with extra grated Parmesan and serve immediately.