This recipe for Braised Beef Cheek Stuffed Gnocchi was developed by the head chef at Gordon Ramsay's London House restaurant.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 5 hour
Total time: 6 hours
Yield: Serves 2
- 200g beef
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 glass of red wine and 1 splash of vinegar reduced to a syrup
- 50g of unsalted butter
- 50g chopped herbs
- 600g passed potatoes (approximately 1kg of raw potatoes)
- 100g parmesan
- 100g pasta flour Purée
- 100g peas
- 15g butter
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 50ml milk
- 1 bunch of chervil
- 1 egg
Prepare the beef
- Lightly season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Sear in a hot pan with oil.
- Add the vegetables in the pan and cover with chicken stock. Never use a cube as there is too much salt in them, or just use water.
- Cook for approximately 4 hours until the meat flakes away easily.
Prepare the pea purée
- Sweat down the onion and garlic with the butter until soft enough to break down when squeezed.
- Add the peas and puree immediately.
- Add the chervil while keep blending until the peas purée looks smooth.
- Add salt.
Prepare the Gnocchi filling
- Once the cheeks are cooked put the potatoes in the oven to bake.
- Pass off the liquid from the cheeks and reduce into a jus or gravy-like consistency.
- Add the meat, butter and herbs.
- Mix together and chill. Prepare the gnocchi
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Scoop the flesh out of the potatoes.
- Pass through a potato ricer.
- Mix ingredients in while it is hot.
- Roll into ball and flatten them to the size of your palm.
- Put approximately 8g of filling into the center and fold the gnocchi mix around.
- Pop the gnocchi in the boiling water.
- Once they float it means that they are ready.
- Put them onto a tray with oil on it so they do not stick.
- Heat up a pan and sear both sides of the gnocchi until golden.
- Heat up the purée stirring constantly. When it is hot spoon onto a plate and make a circle type shape.
- Pile the gnocchi on top garnish with freshly picked chervil.