- Trim the fennel, cut it into quarters, then slice it very finely using a mandolin.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the oranges, being careful to remove all the pith. Finely slice the flesh into discs.
- Remove the core from the radicchio and tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Put these into a large salad bowl and add the fennel and blood orange slices.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk well. Taste and, if necessary, add more acidity or sweetness.
- Pour half the dressing into the salad bowl and mix carefully with your hands until everything is coated. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the top before serving.
Tips: Try to get your hands on a few different varieties of radicchio for this salad, such as the pale, red-splattered leaves of Castelfranco, the curly fingers of Trevisano Tardivo, or the classic Chioggia, to make it even more of a visual feast.
Serve with chicken, fish or barbecued meats, or turn it into a starter by placing a couple of burratas on top. If you can't get radicchio, red chicory will work just as well flavour-wise.
GORDON RAMSAY QUICK & DELICIOUS by Gordon Ramsay
Hodder & Stoughton 2019
Photography copyright © Louise Hagger 2019