- Place a frying pan over a medium heat and add the pancetta. Cook for a few minutes until crispy then add the shallot and garlic and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until softened and lightly coloured. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl to cool slightly.
- Add the chopped potatoes, vegetables and parsley, season well and mash together – you can make this as chunky or smooth as you like.
- Mix in the egg until it just starts to come together then shape the mixture into 8 small cakes with wet hands.
- Add a splash of oil to the pan and fry the cakes for 3-4 minutes each side, or until golden brown all over. You may need to cook in batches, keep cooked cakes warm in a low oven while frying the rest.
- Serve two per person with fried eggs and bacon for breakfast or brunch, or as part of a Boxing Day buffet with leftover cold cuts and chutneys.
Tips: Swap the pancetta for leftover chopped ham or gammon if you have any, mixing it in with the potatoes and veg. Alternatively, leave out completely for a vegetarian option – you could add in some chunks of feta or sundried tomatoes for a change.