- Add the milk, vanilla extract and ground spices to a large saucepan, stir together and place over a medium heat. Bring just to the boil then immediately turn off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Put the egg yolks and 200g of the caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk together until pale and thickened.
- Pour in a little of the warm spiced milk and whisk well to temper the yolks. Continue to gradually add the milk, whisking continuously, until completely combined with the egg yolks.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean saucepan and cook gently over a medium heat until the mixture just starts to thicken – be careful not to allow the mixture to boil as the eggs may curdle.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rum or brandy (if using) and double cream. Set aside to cool completely then chill until nearly ready to serve.
- Just before serving, add the reserved 3 egg whites to a clean bowl and whisk to soft peaks. Add the remaining 30g caster sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is glossy. Gently fold through the chilled eggnog with a large metal spoon until fully combined.
- To serve, pour or ladle into serving glasses and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg or a cinnamon stick.
Tips: Although traditionally a boozy Christmas cocktail, you can make this eggnog recipe without the alcohol if preferred, it will still be a deliciously creamy drink to enjoy over the festive season.
READY FOR THE PARTY SEASON? BOOK YOUR CHRISTMAS OR NEW YEAR'S EVE PARTY WITH GORDON RAMSAY RESTAURANTS