- Pour the wine and port into a large pan and gently warm through.
- Stir in the sugar until fully dissolved then add the spices.
- Warm through for 5 minutes, being careful not to let the wine boil.
- Serve warm (the optimum temperature is 55°C is using a kitchen thermometer), ladled into heatproof glasses.
- Alternatively, if you have time or want to make ahead, remove from the heat and allow to infuse for up to 2 hours to deepen the flavours. Strain the wine into a clean pan and discard the spices, reheat gently to serve.
Tips: You can vary the spices as you like, try adding lemongrass, cardamom or even liquorice depending on what you have.