- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel the potatoes, chop into large chunks and place in a large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the goose fat (or duck fat or oil) to a large roasting tray and place in the oven to heat up.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and give them a gentle shake to fluff up the edges. Sprinkle over the semolina, shake again to coat evenly then leave to steam dry for 5 minutes. Leave the garlic cloves whole but crush lightly with the back of your hand or the flat side of a large knife.
- Carefully add the potatoes to the hot tray along with the garlic and rosemary. Toss to coat in the fat and spread out in a single layer so they cook evenly.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
Tips: Shaking up the edges, coating in semolina and getting the fat really hot first all help ensure crispy, golden outsides while the middles remain fluffy. For a different flavour combination, try swapping the garlic and rosemary for Gordon’s favourite spicy combination – toss the potatoes with ½ tsp turmeric and a pinch of chilli flakes before roasting.