For the purée:
- Grate the green skin from the courgettes, taking minimal flesh so the purée is beautifully green.
- Place a sauté pan on the heat and add a splash of oil and a pinch of salt - it is essential for the pan to be hot so once you start the puree is made quickly, otherwise it will go brown!
- In the hot pan, add the garlic and roast quickly. Once you have a light brown colour, add the courgette and stir.
- Once liquid starts to release from the courgette, add the cream and basil leaves, stir in and cook for 30 seconds, then place straight in to the blender and blitz.
- Pass through a sieve into a container over ice to cool quickly.
For the skate:
- Heat a lightly oiled non-stick pan.
- Season the fish with salt.
- Place the fish thick side down in the pan and leave until golden brown, then turn the skate over, add a knob of butter and baste the skate.
- Remove from the pan and place in a hot oven for 4 minutes to finish off.
- Take out of the oven and leave to rest.
For the courgette salad:
- Dress the flesh of the courgettes with 2 tablespoons on the dressing before serving.
- For a real taste of the summer, spoon the courgette and basil purée onto the plate and spread lightly with the back of the spoon.
- Place the beautifully roasted skate on top of the purée, and dress with freshly sliced Isle of Wight heritage tomatoes and the courgette salad.