- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Grease an ovenproof dish or small roasting tray with butter. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over a medium heat and add the chopped onion. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until softened. Transfer the onion to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the breadcrumbs, dried spices, dried herbs, sage, baking powder and flour to the bowl and mix well to combine. Pour in 200ml boiling water from the kettle, mix well and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the sausagemeat and mix thoroughly – this may be easier by hand.
- Using damp hands, divide the stuffing mixture into 12 portions and roll each into a ball (each about the size of a walnut or golf ball) then place in the greased dish.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through.
Tips: To make this stuffing recipe even easier, you could replace the onion with 1 tsp onion powder or granules and the fresh sage with 1 tbsp dried sage.
For a Christmas twist, try adding a handful of chopped cooked chestnuts and dried cranberries along with the sausagemeat.
The stuffing mixture can also be baked as one single dish if preferred; follow the recipe as above but press the mixture into the greased dish instead of rolling into balls in step 4. Bake as above then slice into portions to serve.