- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/gas 4. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place a large roasting tray on the hob to warm up and add the oil. Once hot, brown the chicken pieces on all sides until nicely coloured. Turn the chicken skin side up.
- Add the garlic to the tray, cut side down, then add the leeks and stir around in the oil.
- Pour in the white wine and allow to bubble for 2 minutes, then add the stock. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Turn off the heat and add the thyme sprigs, butter beans and spinach, nestling them between the chicken pieces. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix everything together, then put the tray into the preheated oven. Bake for 35–40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Give the tray a stir occasionally to make sure everything is cooking evenly.
- Remove the tray from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving in warm shallow bowls.
Leave the skin on the chicken if you aren’t watching your weight, and follow the recipe above but be careful not to pour the wine or stock over the browned skin because it won’t crisp up properly in the oven.
Recipe extracted from Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Fit Food by Gordon Ramsay, published by Hodder & Stoughton, out 4th January, £25
Photographer to credit: Jamie Orlando Smith