To prepare the beef:
- Season the beef and sear in a hot pan until caramelised on all sides.
- Brush the beef fillet with Dijon mustard.
- Set aside whilst making the duxcell and crêpe.
For the duxcell:
- Peel and finely chop the mushrooms into a small dice, before caramelising in a heavy pan with some vegetable oil, thyme and garlic.
- Grate the truffle in to the mushrooms.
- Chill the mushrooms and squeeze in a jay cloth to remove any excess moisture.
For the crêpe:
- Whisk 140ml milk with 60g flour and 1 egg, season with salt and pepper and 10g of chopped tarragon.
- Cook the crepe in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat, until golden on both sides.
To construct the Wellington:
- Lay 3 long layers of cling film on a table.
- Lay the Parma ham in the middle of the cling film covering an area enough to cover the beef fillet.
- Press the duxcell into a layer on top of the Parma ham.
- Place the beef on top and wrap it in the Parma ham and duxcell.
- Roll it tight in the cling film and allow it 30 mins to set in the fridge.
- Unwrap the beef and place on top of the crêpe, in the middle of the sheet of puff pastry
- Egg wash the pastry on all sides to help it stick.
- Wrap the beef in the pastry, folding the edges underneath.
- Apply a final layer of egg wash on top of the the pastry and gently score with a knife.
To cook the Wellington:
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 210c for around 25-30 mins or until it reaches 33c in the centre
- Rest for 10-15mins or until it reaches 42c to 45c for medium-rare
Want to learn more chef skills? Why not experience or even gift a masterclass?