- To make the salad, thinly slice the fennel, apple and kohlrabi using a mandolin on the closest setting and place into a bowl.
- Toast the pine nuts in a pan with a little bit of oil until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and allow to cool before adding to the bowl.
- Dice the grapefruit segments and cut the apple into thin Julienne strips before adding to the other ingredients.
- Mix together the olive oil, mirin and rice vinegar and dress the salad, tossing the ingredients together so they are thinly coated.
- Garnish with fennel tops and puffed rice for a lovely crunch.
- For the tartare, finely chop the mackerel fillet and add to a bowl.
- Gently mix all the ingredients together.
- Finish with sprigs of dill.
At maze Grills, we cook the mackerel using a Big Green Egg grill and a cedar wood plank for maximum flavour. However, at home – try this on a lidded BBQ with a soaked piece of wood or by individually wrapping the mackerel in foil. Alternatively place the fish under a regular oven grill.
- Soak cedar wood in water to avoid burning
- Stuff the mackerel with slices of lemon and soft herbs – Dill and Parsley work well
- Pre heat the Big Green Egg, or grill, to 250 degrees
- Oil the fish generously and season with salt and pepper
- Place the mackerel on the cedar plank in the Big Green Egg and cook for 12 minutes
- Serve the whole mackerel on the cedar board with a spoonful of mackerel tartare, kohlrabi and grapefruit salad and slice of lemon. Enjoy!
Inspired to get cooking? Check out our latest cooking masterclasses and Gordon Ramsay Group Gift & Experience vouchers to hone your skills!