- Mix the dried fruit and apple, then add the Guinness, orange and lemon zest and stir.
- Cover and leave overnight to soak.
- Butter a 1.25 litre/2 pint pudding basin, then spoon in 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar. Turn the basin at an angle, coating the inside of the bowl with the sugar.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Grate the butter, then add to the bowl along with the eggs and fruit, and stir well. Spoon into the basin and level the top.
- Take a sheet of foil about 30cm long, cover with a same-size sheet of greaseproof paper and butter the paper.
- Sit the pudding on a heatproof saucer in a saucepan, then pour in just-boiled water to come halfway up the basin.
- Cover and steam for 6 hours, topping up water occasionally.
- Re-cover with fresh paper and foil and store in a cool place.
- To reheat, steam for 1 hour or microwave (without foil) for 10 mins on medium heat.
Sharpen your knife skills with a Chef’s Masterclass at Gordon Ramsay Restaurants in London – the perfect gift for family, friends or yourself this Christmas! Discover our full collection of festive Gifts & Experiences online.