- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the potatoes and cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Meanwhile, if you’re making the regular, mustard or truffle mash, put the butter, milk and cream into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. For the mustard mash, add the mustards to the warm cream mixture. For the truffle mash, add the truffle paste and truffle oil to the pan instead.
- For the garlic and herb mash, heat the butter in a small saucepan, add the garlic and woody herbs, and cook for 2–3 minutes. Pour in the milk and cream and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the soft herbs and cook for another 2–3 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain in a colander. Put them through a potato ricer as quickly as possible and return them to the saucepan.
- Pour over the flavoured cream and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir again and serve.
Tips: The hotter the potato when you put it through the ricer, the fluffier the mash, so move fast once the potatoes have been drained.
GORDON RAMSAY QUICK & DELICIOUS by Gordon Ramsay
Hodder & Stoughton 2019
Photography copyright © Louise Hagger 2019