- Put the lentils into a large saucepan along with the bay leaf, thyme and stock (or water). Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15–20 minutes until tender.
- In the meantime, heat a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and cook in the pan for 6–8 minutes, stirring now and again, until soft and lightly caramelised on the edges.
- Add the chopped garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Once the lentils are tender, drain well and discard the herbs. Put the lentils into a large mixing bowl and add the mushrooms. Mix together gently to avoid breaking up the lentils too much.
- To make the dressing, put all the ingredients into a clean jam jar with a pinch of salt and pepper. Close the lid of the jar and shake until the dressing comes together and emulsifies.
- Preheat the grill to high. Grill the salmon for 6–8 minutes to your liking.
- Pour half the dressing over the warm lentils and toss gently to ensure everything is coated. Fold in the rocket, place the salmon on top and pour over the remaining dressing. Serve immediately.
Time saving tip: To shorten the prep time, use pre-cooked lentils in tins or pouches. For four people, you will need 2 x 400g tins or 2–3 pouches.
Recipe extracted from Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Fit Food by Gordon Ramsay, published by Hodder & Stoughton, out 4th January, £25
Photographer to credit: Jamie Orlando Smith