- First, prepare the sashimi. Using a very sharp knife (known as Yanagiba in Japanese) thinly slice the salmon fillet across the grain into 8 slices, each weighing 10g.
- Next, make the dressing. Add the peppers, garlic and a dash of grapeseed oil into a blender and pulse to make a purée.
- In a bowl, add the purée, salt and the remaining grapeseed oil and mix. Finally, add the rice wine vinegar and stir well to combine. Set aside and move onto the garnish.
- Thinly slice the sweet potato using a mandolin. Wash the potato slices to remove the starch and pat dry.
- If using a deep fat fryer, heat to 170°C, or alternatively add the oil to a thick bottomed frying pan and bring to temperature.
- Deep fry the thinly sliced sweet potato in the oil until lightly browned and crispy. Remove and set aside to cool.
- On a plate, arrange the baby salad leaves and coriander. Place the sashimi onto a serving dish and drizzle with some of the dressing. Top with sweet potato crisps and thin slices of jalapeno. Add more dressing to taste if you wish (remainder can be used as a dipping sauce if preferred).
TIP: There are plenty of good tutorials on how to make sushi on YouTube. Don’t hesitate to check them out. For more Gordon Ramsay restaurant sushi tips, check out the article “How to make sushi like a pro” from our sushi chefs at maze.