- Cut the strawberries in half and place into a pan with all the other ingredients.
- Cook down by half on a medium heat, stirring occasionally to avoid the mixture sticking. It should be lovely and shiny with syrupy consistency.
- Remove the basil stalk at the end of the cooking.
- Allow to cool.
Pink Peppercorn Meringue
- Crack the peppercorns open in a spice blender or pestle and mortar.
- In a very clean bowl start to whisk the egg white until you see soft peaks. It's best if the egg whites are cold.
- Slowly start to add the caster sugar a little at a time whilst mixing.
- Once it's shiny start to do the same process with the icing sugar.
- Whisk until smooth, and stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the peppercorns.
- Spread thinly on lined baking trays and bake for 2 hours at 90 degrees.
- Turn off the oven and leave the meringue inside to cool.
- Once cool, the meringue should be crisp and easily broken.
- Place the cream and sugar into a bowl and whisk until you have soft peaks. Chill before assembling.
- Break the meringue into a large mixing bowl. Try to keep the pieces quite large as they will break down further when mixing.
- Mix the cream into the meringue. Be gentle, the meringue needs to stay in pieces to give texture.
- Lastly fold in the strawberry compote to give a ripple effect. Don’t mix too much as you want beautiful pockets of compote and cream.
- Spilt into 4 bowl then garnish with a strawberry cut into quarters.