- Put the cauliflower and onions in a colander over a large bowl and sprinkle generously with salt. Toss to mix then leave overnight or up to 24 hours to draw out the liquid. Rinse well, pat dry with kitchen paper and add to a large bowl.
- Now add the cucumbers to the colander, salt well, toss and leave for 20 minutes then rinse thoroughly, pat dry and add to the bowl with the cauliflower and onion. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put both vinegars and the chilli flakes in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove the heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes. Strain the vinegars into a clean pan to remove the chilli.
- Mix together the sugar, turmeric, mustard and cornflour in a bowl. Add a few tbsp of the infused vinegar and stir well to make a thin paste.
- Place the vinegar pan back over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Whisk in the spice paste and cook for 5 minutes, whisking continuously, until the mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Pour the hot pickling liquid over the vegetables and leave to cool.
- Once cool, pour into sterilised jars and allow to mature in a cool, dark place for at least 1 month, or up to 6 months.
Sharpen your knife skills with a Chef’s Masterclass at Gordon Ramsay Restaurants in London – the perfect gift for family, friends or yourself this Christmas. Discover our full collection of festive Gifts and Experiences online.